PrisonRules
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PlayTV. The length of the title for this topic must be ranging between 10 and 255 characters

+2
Firryn
Its Blue Nose
6 posters

Go down

PlayTV. The length of the title for this topic must be ranging between 10 and 255 characters Empty PlayTV. The length of the title for this topic must be ranging between 10 and 255 characters

Post by Its Blue Nose Wed 3 Sep 2008 - 23:46

From Computer and video games
PlayTV review
PlayTV is one of the many peripherals Sony says is part of "future-proofing" the PS3, but for the £69.99 price, what can it actually do?

We'll start off with the basics. The PlayTV box contains the main receiver unit - a pleasantly small black PS-branded box - a USB cable and the Blu-Ray disc containing the software to get it all going.

You plug the receiver into your PS3 via USB, and into your roof aerial via the standard RF lead you'd use with your telly. The receiver is USB-powered, so no need for a plug.

Plop the disc in and you're greeted to a short overview video that you can't skip, because it actually disguises the PlayTV installation that's secretly happing in the background.

The install takes three and a half minutes, and slaps the full 141MB PlayTV program onto your PS3's XBM (Cross Media Bar), so you won't need to insert the disc anymore.

It also puts 308MBs in the Game Data file for "Recordings and Settings", containing some delete-able default videos about PlayTV.

One thing to note is that the installation of PlayTV places a new TV icon on the main list of icons of your PS3's XMB which, even if you delete PlayTV altogether, appears to remain permanently on your menu - almost like it's updated your firmware.

Firing up the program, it automatically detects all the stations - 80-or-so of them - and that's it; you can jump straight into watching live TV.

Don't expect miracles from the picture quality - you may have your PS3 hooked up via HDMI, but you're still essentially watching a standard definition signal so you'll have the same grainy picture you get with Sky TV or any decent-quality Freeview box.

The controls while watching TV are simple enough, whether you're using the PS3's Blu-ray Remote or just a DualShock. You need only hit a button on the controller to bring up menus, program information, channel lists or quit back to the front end.

Of course, the best bit is the ability to pause live TV. Just hit the Start button like you would a game and the screen pauses. Get your tea and scones and when you return you can resume the action by hitting Start again. Simple.

The length of time you can pause for seems limited only by hard drive space - when you pause it starts caching whatever's being broadcasted to your hard drive. You could leave it paused for the duration of a film and it'd only eat up about 2GBs of storage.

But if you know you'll be gone for a while you're better off recording your program to watch later. This is PlayTV's best feature. Just hit the Select button at any time and it'll start recording.

There are other ways to get programmes recorded, too. As you browse show listings for the days ahead, you can set the PS3 to record any show with one touch of a button. Or, if you know exactly what you want, you can do a word search for a program and, after a brief search, it'll list all the examples of that programme airing in the next few days, which you can set to record. Clever, that.

Any recorded footage is slapped in a Library menu, automatically tagged with the programme name and description. Hit X on it and PlayTV runs the recording. Again, nice and simple.

Or, brilliantly, you can export videos to your PS3's XMB menu as MPEG-4 video (despite rumours suggesting the feature had been removed). From there you can use it like a normal file - watch it on your PS3, put it on PC, transfer it to your PSP... whatever you like.

You can access PlayTV from your PSP via Remote Play, too, allowing you to watch live TV or stored videos through your portable. Handy if you find yourself near a Wifi spot in, say... India, and don't want to miss out on Corrie.

So, all round, all good. But there are a couple of problems. The main issue is that PlayTV won't turn on your PS3 to record a programme. So if you set your PS3 to record something your console will have to be on at that time. Not too convenient.

The other problem is a more techy. Advanced recording systems like Sky+ can be set to record every episode of a particular series regardless of what time episodes are aired. Using whatever industry-standard trickery involved, it knows when the programme is on and starts recording. PlayTV can't do that.

It gets round it by recording on a timer. So, if you know Eastenders is on weekdays from 8pm to 9pm, you can set that up. But if a series has irregular airing times you need to set each episode manually. Not massive problem, but not ideal.

Is PlayTV worth getting, though? If you really like the idea of recording TV, yes. It does it brilliantly, and with intuitive menus and easy features, it all works seamlessly.

But it is £70, and most (if not all) HD TVs come with Freeview boxes built in nowadays, so that's quite a price to pay just for the privilege of recording. Plus, there's no scope for it receiving high-definition terrestrial broadcasts, which are planned for the end of 2009.

If Sony then releases a PlayTV HD box, that'll be well worth a purchase. But this? Its value is questionable.

So what do the Ps3 owners think of this?
Do you think that it will be a Great as now you can record all those episodes of scrubs you have been shamefully missing or will it just be a steaming pile of turd?

Its Blue Nose
Pistol Whipper

Back to top Go down

PlayTV. The length of the title for this topic must be ranging between 10 and 255 characters Empty Re: PlayTV. The length of the title for this topic must be ranging between 10 and 255 characters

Post by Firryn Wed 3 Sep 2008 - 23:56

The record-and-put-on-yer-PC thing sounded awesome, but I think they're not doing that anymore. Copyright shizz.

Anyways I have freeview on my TV so I'm set :>
Firryn
Firryn
COG Recruit

Back to top Go down

PlayTV. The length of the title for this topic must be ranging between 10 and 255 characters Empty Re: PlayTV. The length of the title for this topic must be ranging between 10 and 255 characters

Post by Shortay Thu 4 Sep 2008 - 0:00

I like the sound of the recording feature, but to be honest I already have that in Sky+ and the channels available from launch are a little on the weak side.

Won't be getting this.
Shortay
Shortay
Uchiha Ninja

Back to top Go down

Post by Its Blue Nose Thu 4 Sep 2008 - 0:08

Shortay wrote:I like the sound of the recording feature, but to be honest I already have that in Sky+ and the channels available from launch are a little on the weak side.

Won't be getting this.

I would only buy it if
I had a ps3 and
It was cheaper.
£70 is well to dear

Its Blue Nose
Pistol Whipper

Back to top Go down

Post by paul_war Thu 4 Sep 2008 - 14:31

It's a bit expensive at the moment, I would get it, if it bacame cheaper, or used FreeSat.
paul_war
paul_war
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post by Iarwain Thu 4 Sep 2008 - 17:22

You can have 255 characters in a topic title? Jesus, that seems a bit steep.

Anyway, what were we talking about again? Yeah, I don't think I'll get it. It'd be nice recording programs and stuff, but £70 is a bit too much when I can watch said programs for free. It has some nice extras, but nothing that warrants such a hefty price tag in my opinion, seeing as though I already have freeview.
Iarwain
Iarwain
Pistol Whipper

Back to top Go down

Post by HuntingJake Fri 17 Oct 2008 - 1:01

lol sky+ but its handy cos its on my ps3 not my tv... oh wait

HuntingJake
Uchiha Ninja

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down